Laxmi Narayan Temple
Laxmi Narayan Temples complex, devoted to the Vaishnavite sect, includes the main Laxmi Narayan Temple, built in the 10th century by Raja Sahil Verman.
It has been built to suit the local climatic conditions with wooden chatries and has a shikara, and a sanctum sanctorum, with an antarala and a mantapa.
A metallic image of Garuda, the vahana of Vishnu is installed on the dwajastamba pillar at the main gate of the temple.
Sahil verman named Chamba after his daughter Champa and she used to get her education from the priest.
Raja doubted her daughter character and he send his guards behind her to check what was she doing.
One night, the Raja had a dream in which a priest had came in his nightmare and said that he had doubted her daughter character.
To overcome his crime, he was assigned to go to the river Ghodhavri.
On the bank, there is a rock named as VISHNU SHILA to get that in the city chamba.
Raja had lost his 9 sons while doing the work.
But the tenth son was saved by the NAGA SAINTS.
They took care of the prince and helped him to shift the Shilla to the Chamba.
NAGA Saints built the Dashnam Akhara in the Chamba which was off 10th century.
Seems like the blessings of the NAGA Saints was the key that the temple faced every problem quite easily.
The statue of the Lord Vishnu was made by that shilla and was the biggest among all in the India.
On the walls of the temple, there are various designs and sketch which was not affected by the climate.
In 1555 and 1905 there was an earthquake recorded of 7.5 on ritchter scale but seems to had no effect on the temple.
There were 3 pillars in the temple which got incline during the earthquake.
Again, they regain there shapes originally as they were earlier.
This temple was one of the main attraction of the Chamba till now a days.